I was reminded a few weeks ago (before the holidays) that I had not posted in a while. I promised I would after New Years. So.. here I am.
My absence was not really deliberate. Somewhere there are about 3 posts started that I never completed. I found out the hard way that a drafted post only saves on the device you are typing on, not on the blog itself. So when I went to finish them, they were not there, and I somehow couldn’t recreate what I was trying to say as eloquently. I will find them however and put them up in the very near future.
So where am I today with my various projects?
I did take a hiatus from the Swabian gown. I finished the sleeve, and needed to move onto the gown itself but I had not yet sorted out the pattern I was going to use. Instead of doing embroidery, I spent many hours on the web and buried in books looking at mid and late 15th and early 16th century pictures trying to determine cut of the gown I wanted to use. This is a huge problem when working from just portraits; you can’t see the rest of the garment!!!,
As of this writing, I have gone through about 8 yards of fabric, a few dozen broken pins and a couple rolls of duct tape fitting the dress form. Trial and error is slowly paying off, and I managed a plausable pattern on New Years Day, thanks to my daughter, who has for years suffered through fitting me. The reality is she knows how to fit garments, and does a good job at it (even though she doesn’t think so). I am going to devote a separate post to the garment fitting. I have to get the various pictures of the trial and errors off the camera.
I also took my own advice and did a mini project. A friend of mind had asked me to make her a small embroidered case for her phone. She knew the dress was my first priority, and was not in any hurry, but the case proved to be the perfect “break” piece. I will try to get an image up in the next few days.
The rest of my time was tied up in holiday prep, work and some vacation time with the family over Christmas.
Happy New Year!!